We get there and just seeing a few of the end obstacles was enough to get your adrenaline pumping! Here is the Towering Inferno view from the parking lot! Oh yea!!!
Matt wanted to do the race so bad but he was too young for the Jr version so had to do the Mini one and he wasnt too pleased about that!
So we took a quick picture and went on ahead with the 12:30pm wave. No reason to sit around when we were pumped and oblivious to what lay ahead!!
Last time for the day we will be clean! I went with bright blue and yellow to show my remembrance for Boston as those were the Boston marathon colors.
And we were off… first up was a slide down the fire pole, a run downhill then climbing through doors and windows…then it was time for a quarter mile trek through the river…it was at this point I realized this wasnt your regular run! Hahaha
We were in mud, in a dark smoky building feeling our way around, dragging tires, carrying stretchers, climbing wood walls, crawling under barb wire, in culverts, crawling through mazes, sliding down things, making our way through foam, climbing up a mud hillside with the help of a fire hose, climbing ladders, not to mention the 5 miles of up and down trails we had to run/walk to get to the end! And I will admit that I snagged a root and went tumbling face first down one of those hills! It was just us on that section so no hurt pride but man that was a rough fall.
We made our way towards the finish and it was at the Towering Inferno where we saw Jeff and the boys. Now getting up this thing was the hard part. The culverts on the side didnt have a ladder in them as I had hoped, instead there were random pieces of boards screwed to the side of the walls for your to shimmy up. Oh and lets not forget that water is spraying down the tube on you so looking up is a mute point. The 1st one I tried had a missing piece and I couldnt reach high enough so I found the one Jenn went up, saw her and the top and I made my way in. This is where I thought I was going to lose it. I was a couple rungs from the top, Jenn was trying to deflect the water from hitting me in the face while I caught my bearings, I didnt think I could do it. I wanted to slide down the tarp so bad and I really thought I was going to miss out. But instead of crying I just tried again while Jenn was going all Jillian Micheals on me and telling me to put my foot up there and do it! And I made it! What a rush.
Here we are standing at the top as the man instructs the lady ready to slide and us how it works.
And here we go at the same time!
And splashdown! Oh that was so worth it! It was awesome!!!
And look ahead…more water and my son is in charge of the spray hose!
Hopping in and getting sprayed by Matt
And we did it! Soaking wet, wore out and hungry but we did it!
My favorite medal thus far
And the coolest shirt ever
So proud of ourselves! Thanks Jenn for being right there and enduring with me! Wouldnt have wanted to go theu with anyone else. Here are our final times. Not too shabby for 5 miles of trail run including numerous obstacles and several creek intermissions!
I will post more pictures from the race soon as they come in. I hope to at least get a picture of each obstacle even if it’s not of us doing them so we have a collage of all the awesome stuff we did. What a rush it was and if it’s back in TN next year or even some place near I will be there no doubt!
