Wednesday, January 19, 2011

speech update

Tuesday was Matthew's 1st speech visit since early December. I got a call a couple hours before speech time from a new speech therapist. She wanted to introduce herself and see if I knew that Matt would have a new therapist. Uhhh No, I had no idea. So after some discussion about changing the scheduled time and the conflict I was kind of irked a bit. I have no idea why a new speech lady and I guess it doesnt matter really.

So anyways we go to speech as usual. I told Matt he had a new lady and I would go in with him to meet her. he said it would be ok and I could stay in my chair like usual and he would go in and then come tell me what he did after they are done. Well ok kid, if you say so! LOL

When she came to the office to meet him he said hi and told her his name. And he went with her to do his speech. I met them in the hallway when speech was over and she says to me "Why exactly is he in speech again?" I said well he was shy and at the beginning of this year he wouldnt do the eval for the stranger lady so we just kept with it to work on some sounds he was having troubles with. She said that he doesnt need to be in there at all. That he has much more words and longer sentences than expected. The only sounds he is having some issues with are blended sounds that shouldnt come in until he is 7 yrs old anyways. So she tells me "this is a waste of your time, i will check into getting him a full evaluation." I told her that was fine by me and since he was open with her then if she does the eval he should be fine!

So an interesting turn of events it was and maybe we can be done with speech once and for all in the near future! He sure has come a long way since the good ol' (quiet) days!